Using Images Teacher Challenge #5

Activity #5 in the Teachers Blogging Challenge is about “the eyes of the blog” – images. One of the things I like to do when I blog is to include a relevant image to the post because it creates visual interest for the reader. The image could be serious or funny, it really depends on the mood I’m in at the time of writing.

For the purposes of this activity I created the following animated photoshow using Animoto (the Education version) and a selection of my favourite educational quotes that are significant to me as a teacher librarian in the digital age. The images are licensed under Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic. This is the first Animoto presentation I have created and I love it. Simple and easy to use.

As I don’t usually use my own images I need to use Creative Commons licenced images. This is an area that I’m a little uncertain about so I am using this post to learn more. As one of my goals for 2011 is to help students and teachers understand Creative Commons I thought I’d include a few links to some useful presentations and sites. For Australian educators check out this document for locating Creative Commons licenced material. Thanks to Ami Alrawy for this resource.

For future reference here is the Creative Commons licences table.

Check out Prof. Lawrence Lessig’s (Harvard University) Explanation Creative Commons Licencing from You Tube

Rodd Lucier’s presentation on Creative Commons is worth a look too

Judy O’Connell posted this timely clip on her blog Hey Jude

Steven W. Anderson tweeted this resource 170 Million Photos: Learning with Flickr Creative Commons

Flickr Creative CommonsWylio – search for CC Flickr images and resize for use in works.

MorguefileFree images for use in creative work.

Kidsnetsoft – A selection of resources to use in education projects.

Free Stock Images – Find royalty free photos

Compfight -

Search Creative Commons – provides access to search services provided by independent organizations – Flickr, Google Images, Blip.TV (video) Jamendo (music), Wikimedia Commons & SpinXpress (both media).

Wikimedia Commons – a media file repository making available public domain and freely-licensed educational media content (images, sound and video clips)

Jamendo – Jamendo is a community of free, legal and unlimited music published under Creative Commons licenses.

Free Sound -  Collaborative database of Creative Commons licensed sounds, not songs.

For more detailed resources about Creative Commons and check out Joyce Valenza’s copyright friendly wiki

Comments (12)

Pam NiewmanJanuary 24th, 2011 at 7:23 PM      

I love your animoto video and the fact that you managed to find such wonderful images using creative commons. I often have trouble finding appropriate images. The text created thoughtful viewing for me. Digital Dewey

Anne MirtschinJanuary 24th, 2011 at 9:25 PM      

Thanks for sharing all these resources. You have given lots for your readers to explore. Creative Commons is something we all need to be aware of and yet, I think few educationalists know about it. I know that my students think that anything that is online is free and can be used as they will, but I keep at them, reminding them of this imortant concept.

Jee YoungJanuary 25th, 2011 at 1:30 AM      

Thanks for sharing about the education version of animoto! I signed up for that! :) Wow, you have a lot of great information about using images. It’s all very helpful. I’m still trying to figure out the creative commons as well.

KathrynJanuary 25th, 2011 at 6:38 AM      

Love your animoto, played it twice! Did you put text on photos before you put them into animoto? I would love to be able to put the text on top of photos within animoto. However don’t see how to do that. However putting text there first is a way around it, so thanks for that.
    Kathryn

groovylibrarianJanuary 25th, 2011 at 9:44 AM      

Hi Kathryn,
    I obtained these Creative Commons images from Flickr – from the group Great Quotes About Learning and Change. Many of the images there have the quotes already have the text. Therefore I didn’t do the quotes/text myself.
    Flickr is great for getting images like I’ve found as as long as they’re Creative Commons licensed you can use them.

groovylibrarianJanuary 25th, 2011 at 9:46 AM      

Thank you Pam for your kind words. I had so much fun using Animoto. I’ll be encouraging teachers to use Animoto (Ed version) this year and I might even use this short video as a demo of what the program can do. I look forward to following your posts.

Carol SattaJanuary 26th, 2011 at 10:42 AM      

Thanks for all the great links, especially the ones about resources for audio clips and also Joyce Valenza’s Copyright Friendly Wiki.

Lydia SchultzJanuary 26th, 2011 at 3:11 PM      

I love Animoto too. I’ve used it to create a short video with covers of banned books that I ran on my Media wiki during “Banned Book Week.” It is a fun way to get a big impact with images.

groovylibrarianJanuary 26th, 2011 at 5:59 PM      

No problems Carol and thank you for your kind words.

That’s what I love about education, it’s the sharing of ideas and resources.

Kay McGriffJanuary 27th, 2011 at 7:08 AM      

I like animoto. It’s an easy way to put together a quick video. Thanks for all the links to the resources. I will be back to explore them. I plan on sharing the video on Creative Commons, too.

Kim YJanuary 30th, 2011 at 3:51 PM      

Thank you for sharing your Creative Commons sites – you have helped me to build up my resources!

I really enjoy using animoto and find it is a great way to share student work on our Library blog. It’s encouraging to see so many Web 2.0 tools providing an Education account to meet our needs.

Kim :)

groovylibrarianJanuary 30th, 2011 at 4:10 PM      

Hi Kim,
    no problems. That’s all part of the sharing learning journey we’re all on.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Posts of the Week – Visit these blogs – Weeks 2/3 | Teacher Challenge
  2. Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad ©? | Webster Christian School Library Blog
  3. Kick Start Activity 6 – Beginner – Enhancing posts by embedding media | Teacher Challenge
  4. Embedding Media Teacher Challenge #6 | The Groovy Librarian - Teaching in the 21st Century